Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The two Ws-WC and Wimbledon

I have waited 8 yrs to see the Azzuris have the world at their feet.And finally they vindicated what I wrote about them last time.In fact their match with Germany was the best I have ever seen in my life,a match worthy of the final.The final itself was sad only for the ignominous end to the great career of Zinedine Zidane,a player miles ahead of the rest,including the vacuous Brazilians.
But the Italian truimph has not suited anybody-neither were they the sentimental favourites nor the home team or the universal favourites-this I can gather from all the neswpaper articles after the world cup.In fact if it were possible I have no doubt that the organisers would have awarded the WC to France!!!Wimbledon final was also on the same day as the WC and it was a great match.I feel that Nadal in the future will surely get the measure of Federer.This wimbledon will also be remembered as Agassi's swansong,but more on him on my next post.
For now its Federer.I started watching tennis by admiring Stefan Edberg,then going crazy over Goran Ivanisevic.After those two a certain air of disinterest has come into my mindset,with the result that I am able to appreciate tennis better.But Federer is a genius.He seems to be a chimerical combination of the other players.A return of serve and passing shots like Agassi, a serve like Sampras,his own forehand and agility, and my God!-what a backhand!When I see him play that backhand slice it seems like poetry in motion.Time stands still as the ball floats in the air deliciously.It reminds me of Edberg,that backhand of his.And the sheer variety of shots and treacherous spins that he imparts to the ball makes his play truly sublime.If only I could have seen him play Sampras at his best!That is the beauty of such thoughts-the mere prospect of thinking is so rewarding:)
Sometimes it makes me wonder-is Federer really that good or his opponents so inept?But I guess the sheer beauty of his game makes you reject the latter notion.

No comments: