Sunday, July 05, 2009

Götterdämmerung

Götterdämmerung--Twilight of the Gods, was the phrase that kept coming to my mind as I watched the epic final between Federer and Roddick. Admittedly, I am taking liberties with the word and using it in a sense contradictory to the usual usage, but the literal translation really was fitting here.

After all we had all the legends of tennis- Sampras, Borg, Laver, Becker, Mcenroe, here at twilight to witness the epochal event- the final acceptance, if any more confirmation were still required, of Roger Federer as one of the all time greats, and arguably, the greatest ever.

I really feel sorry for Roddick though. He played a great match, and almost won it. These epic finals are cruel in the end, for only one can be called a winner. But these are worthy sportsmen ; generous in victory, gracious in defeat.

If asked to summarise the match today however, most verbs seem unfair to me. I cannot bring myself to say Roddick lost , or that Federer won. Federer edged past Roddick does not fit well either. Federer prevails at last is close but I still wouldnt be satisfied. Perhaps my best attempt would be to to say Federer outlasts Roddick , atleast it conveys the idea of a marathon where the competitors have risen above the outcome, and victory and defeat are merely names for the inexorable end.

It has been a privelege to witness the exploits of Federer, since the day he defeated Sampras in the 2001 quarter finals. It helped that his era dawned when I had risen above personal favouritism and could appreciate the unbridled genius and mastery of the man, something I never could do with Sampras, or Agassi or Becker as long as they were playing, for I was rooting fervently for Goran Ivanisevic.

How I wish I could have a day like this. It must be a wonderful life, however short, if on a glorious summer evening, the Gods come down to witness your acheivement and welcome you into their pantheon.

Götterdämmerung indeed !!

2 comments:

Anjana Talapatra said...

:) You beat me to it. I followed Wimbledon radio but didn't witness the match and thereby missed the opportunity of a lifetime. It really doesn't get better than this does it? I can understand your lack of words to describe the phenomenon but the only words I can come up with is that he earned it. I think nothing can beat the feeling of standing so tall in the world of tennis and being able to say to oneself, 'I earned it!'
What endeared him to me even more however was his mentioning Nadal's absence in the tournament :)

I wouldn't wish for a day like this in my life though. Wishing for something like this seems almost like insulting the greatness of the achievement. Wishes, luck, chance have nothing to do with it. It is pure sublime genius.

MaVeRicK said...

One- You must've watched the ads that flashed soon after the match ended... big big big monies for the companies, gosh how long since they've waited?

Two- Goran Ivanisevic? Duh, agreed he could serve aces at free will but talk of masterclass? Glad that've you've graduated now :P

Three- nice wordplay.. missed that for a while now.